Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Homemade Oven Fries

We were actually supposed to have mashed potatoes, but because of something I will blog about in a minute, I needed a quick change up. These were so fabulous, I have taken the organic fries we usually buy off my grocery list. We'll be homemaking from now on. I'll probably play around with different seasonings, but this is what I did the other night...

Ingredients

*1 medium potato per person, roughly (I used organic), wedged, and soaked in salt water for up to 24 hours (I was in a hurry... we soaked about 30 minutes)
*oil
*rosemary
*minced garlic
*salt
*pepper
*parsley

*paprika

Preheat oven to 400*. Drain potatoes. Toss with a *very little bit* of oil. I didn't measure, but I probably used about 1/3 c (for 3 potatoes). That was too much. Potatoes will SOAK up the oil very easily, so you really want more of a drizzle. Add 2-3 Tablespoons to the oil as you are tossing. Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to another bowl, leaving behind as much oil as you can. In the new bowl, add in very generous amounts of all your remaining spices - rosemary, paprika, salt, pepper, parsley - remember that potatoes don't have much flavor on their own, so you really want to pump up the flavor here. Toss potatoes around to really get them all equally spiced. Speaking of spice, if you like your fries to have a bit of a kick, I think a light sprinkle of cayenne pepper would go very nicely with this blend. Spread potatoes on a cookie sheet/baking pan, trying not to let them touch each other. Bake at least 1 hour and 15 minutes, can be more, depending on you prefer your fries. I like them CRISP. Ideally I would probably go a bit longer next time, or cook at the same temp the whole time... which brings me to: cook at your preheat temp the whole time, unless you need to share the oven and need the temp compromise - then you can cook 45 minutes at 400*, cut it down to 375* and cook the remaining time at that temp. These were TO DIE FOR. Yum!

1 comment:

Jen said...

We do something very similar on the grill! Its a favorite! I hadn't heard of soaking in salt water before...what does that do?